segunda-feira, 20 de julho de 2009

MORREU GORDON WALLER


Gordon Waller, que fez parelha com Peter Asher no duo Peter and Gordon, morreu no passado dia 17 de Julho, vítima de ataque cardíaco.

Gordon played such a significant role in my life that losing him is hard to comprehend – let alone to tolerate.

He was my best friend at school almost half a century ago. He was not only my musical partner but played a key role in my conversion from only a snooty jazz fan to a true rock and roll believer as well.

Without Gordon I would never have begun my career in the music business in the first place. Our professional years together in the sixties constitute a major part of my life and I have always treasured them.

We remained good friends (unusual for a duo!) even while we were pursuing entirely separate professional paths and I was so delighted that after a hiatus of almost forty years we ended up singing and performing together again more recently for the sheer exhilarating fun of it. We had a terrific time doing so.

Gordon remains one of my very favourite singers of all time and I am still so proud of the work that we did together. I am just a harmony guy and Gordon was the heart and soul of our duo.

I shall miss him in so many different ways. The idea that I shall never get to sing those songs with him again, that I shall never again be able to get annoyed when he interrupts me on stage or to laugh at his unpredictable sense of humour or even to admire his newest model train or his latest gardening effort is an unthinkable change in my life with which I have not even begun to come to terms.

Peter Asher

7 comentários:

JC disse...

Curiosa, esta série económica espanhola, rigor à parte. Tenho um da mesma, de Manfred Mann que nem sequer eram de Liverpool ou se integravam no merseysound. Enfim...
Mas uma curiosidade: estás farto de saber que uma irmã de Peter andou de cama c/ o teu amigo McCarthy (sorte a deste, pois a "pikena" era de grande qualidade). Pois a dita irmã, Jane, tem um longo percurso no cinema e TV e integra o elenco de um dos meus filmes de culto ("Deep End" do polaco Jerzy Skolimowsky) e de duas séries de TV da minha preterência: uma, a nº 1 aqui por casa, "Brideshead Revisited", e outra tb muito estimável: "Wish Me Luck".
Abraço

JC disse...

Desculpa, McCartney!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ié-ié disse...

Não foi leviana a omissão que fiz de Paul McCartney. Durante a vida, Gordon deve-se ter saturado de tanto ouvir dessa ligação, depois de morto deixai-o sossegado!

LT

Muleta disse...

sempre adorei o duo e não descansei enquanto não consegui um cd com as músicas deles.
mais tarde o irmão do meio arranjou-me ediçoes mais completas...

Cruz disse...

Quem será o irmão do meio :)

Cruz disse...

Singles de sucesso no Reino Unido

1 Peter & Gordon A World Without Love Mar 1964
10 Peter & Gordon Nobody I Know Jun 1964
2 Peter & Gordon True Love Ways Apr 1965
5 Peter & Gordon To Know You Is To Love You Jun 1965
19 Peter & Gordon Baby I'm Yours Oct 1965
28 Peter & Gordon Woman Feb 1966
16 Peter & Gordon Lady Godiva Sep 1966

filhote disse...

Bonito testemunho de Peter Asher. E tocante.

Gosto bastante de Peter & Gordon. Boa música Pop.

E, JC, também para mim "Brideshead Revisited" é uma das melhores séries de ficção da História da televisão.